About the solution
Before the accident, Siegfried was training to be a cook. Being now visually impaired, he now faces new challenges. According to the inventors, his biggest problems were:
“- Detecting where every kitchen utensil is located (works very slowly)
- Seeing both dark and light vegetables on the same cutting board (can't cut them)
- Seeing where the cutting board ends (wastes food because they get dropped)”.
So his friends developed a wooden board which is black on one side and white on the other, for creating a contrast between light and dark vegetables. There is a compartment for the knives, retained by a magnetic strip. Everything is portable, so that the user has also the possibility to cook elsewhere.
The inventors said they solved the previous problems by:
• Using a fixed place for every utensil (he has a very good memory)
• Using a cutting board that is black on one side and white on the other, which is easily turnable
• Using a grey material as final layer so it has the biggest contrast with both white and black
This device can be made at home.
This solution shall not include mention to the use of drugs, chemicals or biologicals (including food); invasive devices; offensive, commercial or inherently dangerous content. This solution was not medically validated. Proceed with caution! If you have any doubts, please consult with a health professional.
Student invents Talking Walking Stick for the Blind
Congenital visual acuity reduced
Neurologic visual problems NEC
Sudden visual loss
Visual disorders NEC
Blindness (excl colour blindness)
Blind girl creates campus map for the visually impaired
Patient launches disabled travel website